Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Rye Bread Update

Bread turned out pretty well. I was SHOCKED.......I was hoping for the best but expecting the worst. I did one loaf on the BGE and one on a pizza stone in my convection oven. Soooooo, tomorrow is on for Valentine's Day Reuben Panini's. My waffle cone maker showed up 2 days earlier than expected also. Since I never made the ice cream............here is my plan.....I am going to make waffle cones tomorrow and dip them in white chocolate (also my hubby's fave) and then sprinkle chocolate "jimmies" or "sprinkles" to the rest of ya, from Guittard onto the white chocolate. I am just going to buy some ice cream since I don't have time to make any now.....a girl can't do everything, I got 2 kids bouncing off the walls and cat at the vet for a sex change, I am a busy woman. I know "white chocolate" is not really "chocolate" but what else can I call it?? I have a hard time saying that word "white chocolate".

White chocolate is a confection of sugar, cocoa butter, and milk solids. Unlike chocolate, white chocolate contains neither chocolate liquor nor cocoa solids. The low melting point of cocoa butter allows white chocolate and chocolate to remain solid at room temperature, yet melt easily in the mouth. White chocolate thus has a texture similar to that of milk chocolate.

Jimmies~You're correct in your assumption that 'jimmies' is primarily a New England term for what the rest of the country (and probably the world) know as 'sprinkles.' According to the Dictionary of American Regional English, 'Jimmies' is actually a trademarked term for a brand of candy (not necessarily chocolate) sprinkles, which they explain are 'tiny balls or rod-shaped bits of candy used as a topping for ice-cream, cakes and other sweets.' Although 'Jimmies' is trademarked, my guess is that the term was in generic use for many years prior to the founding of Jimmies as a brand name. And while 'jimmies,' meaning chocolate sprinkles, first showed up in English around 1947, 'jimmies' has also been used since around 1900 as a short form of the old English slang word 'jim-jam.' 'Jim-jam,' in turn, has since the 16th century meant 'a trivial article or knick-knack,' so it's not too great a stretch to see a connection there with candy "jimmies," which are certainly trivial.


I will quiz you on these terms in the future....................................................

No comments: