Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Reuben Kulakofsky

My husband's favorite sandwhich "hands down" is the reuben.

I did not know this and I bet you didn't either:According to Omaha lore, the combination of rye bread, corned beef, Swiss cheese, and sauerkraut had been dreamed up in 1925 to feed participants in a late-night poker game at the Blackstone Hotel in downtown Omaha by a local grocer, Reuben Kulakofsky. Charles Schimmel, the hotel's owner, was so taken with the sandwich that he put it on the hotel restaurant menu, designated by its inventor's name. Fern Snider, a one-time waitress at the Blackstone, entered the Reuben in a national sandwich competetion in 1956; her entry won--hence one of the earliest pieces of documentation for the name of the sandwich, an OED cite from 1956 from the food services journal "Institutions". ~Jim Rader of Merriam-Webster

I thought it would be nice to try and make some homemade deli rye bread on the BGE (big green egg) and then make him a reuben panini for Valentine's Day supper. I am getting ready to fire up the BGE in a minute. I made 2 loaves just in case 1 does not turn out. Both may not turn out. I have still not purrrrfected the art of baking bread. Lessons will be learned if it doesn't turn out........learning opportunities abound in failure. I embrace failure. If they both turn out.........then some lucky recipient at the railroad will receive the other loaf. Wish me luck!! I will post pics whether it be success or disaster. Although I am sure the disaster will make for more comical reading.

2 comments:

Lora said...

What fuel do you put in the BGE? Reuben-not my personal favorite-but many men like them. Good luck with that rye bread!

Obsessive Foodie or Food Addict....You Decide said...

The charcoal is a 100% natural lummp charcoal. It burns "clean" down to about 1 Tblsp. Hence "Green Egg". Enviromentally friendly.