Friday, January 11, 2008

Not Your Average Girl Scout Campfire

Fire up the bar-b we are making s'mores.....well not really, fire up the oven we are making whole wheat s'mores cookies.

S'more appears to be a contraction of the phrase, "some more".[4] The informal nature of this term reflects the environment in which s'mores are traditionally served. Some have jokingly surmised that the name originated from people who were so busy eating the tasty treat that they did not have time to speak in complete sentences, or alternately, that their enunciation was compromised by the fact that their mouth was still full of the previously mentioned s'more.
While the origin of this popular campfire dessert is unclear, the first recorded version of the recipe can be found in the
Girl Scout Handbook of 1927. (per wikipedia).

We all have to evolve, right?? Even the Girl Scouts. So yesterday when I received my February issue of Bon Appetit magazine I couldn't wait to dive into it. There it was, staring back at me on page 125......a picture of what looked like the most delectable homemade cookies....accentuated by half drunk or is it drank?? I don't know, half drank glasses of milk and crumbs littered all over the counter. WHOLE WHEAT S'MORE COOKIES.......are you serious??? Is this a joke??? Don't play with my emotions. I was ELATED to say the least. This past week I had really been craving some plain old chocolate chip cookies. I have started to experiment with whole wheat flour and whole wheat pastry flour and these cookies seem just like the ticket. Plus you get the whole grain component and the dessert component so even though you are being bad you do have SOME good. I am really excited to make these.......perhaps tonight even. I think the Girl Scouts should adopt this as their new cookie. I mean if they are going to peddle their crack every year perhaps they should add a little whole grain to it, eh?? I will let you know how they turn out. Perhaps I should get my hat out and my green sash with all my patches to pay homage to this lovely group while I prepare this upscale version of their campfire morsel, SHA RIGHT, that could be a problem since I quit the brownies and never made it to Girl Scouts........chalk it up to a bit of an attitude problem (on my part or so I was told)........go figure! So here I come, whole wheat flour, golden brown sugar, buttermilk, molasses, butter, eggs, milk chocolate chips, mini marshmallows and walnuts...............

Great Tip---No buttermilk?? In a pinch, use 1/2 cup milk soured with 1/2 tablespoon of lemon juice. Let stand at room temp 15 minutes before using.


2 comments:

Ann Miller said...

If there is any conceivable way I could bring myself to think of anything else besides what to eat next, I can count on you to bring me back!!! I wish your blog came with just a little piece of the panini or a crumble of the cookie!!

Obsessive Foodie or Food Addict....You Decide said...

Glad I could be of assistance hehehehe. Come over and eat anytime.....just give me a heads up first.