Sunday, January 13, 2008

Sour-dough'in Hoochie Mama

I had one of those "lightbulb" moments today. They just come in randomly. Are they really "lightbulb" moments??? I don't know. I will just all of a sudden have an idea come to me for no reason. Idea=lightbulb in my head of unorganized thoughts.

Sourdough Starter
What comes to mind is Bread.....sourdough bread, but there are a plethora of other things you can make with it. Pancakes, cookies, muffins, cakes, biscuits etc. It is really a very interesting thing.....this starter. I was talking to my dad and apparently there are bakeries out there that have been using the same starter for over a 100 years. They just keep feeding it. Sourdough starter is a "living" thing. I started reading about it today on some different sites and decided to start some starter, if that makes sense. You have to feed it every 24 hours for the first week and then once it is established you can just feed it once a week, or put back as much as you use when you use it. You start with one cup of flour and one cup of water and put it in a crock or a canning jar. Each day you take half out and replace half for the first week. You can use a little yeast to get it going but it states REAL sourdough snobs wouldn't hear of it. I think I am going to try it both ways just to make sure at least one turns out. Once it is established, aside from feeding it once weekly the only other issue is "hooch". Hooch is a layer of watery liquid (often dark) that contains alchohol. It smells a bit like beer, because it is a bit like beer - but don't drink it! Hooch builds up in your starter, especially in the fridge. Just pour it off or stir it back in. It doesn't hurt anything. If your starter is looking dry, stir it back in. If your starter is plenty wet, pour it off. Just remember that hooch is nothing to worry about! It also states that once it is established it is almost impossible to kill off......even if you forget to feed it weekly. Which for someone who owns NOT one houseplant due to untimely deaths this is a good thing. And also anything that has the name "hooch" in it is alright with me......sounds like we are doing something illegal. It also feels very Little House on the Prairie.....like I should break out an Amish Bonnet or something. This could be life changing.....this could revolutionize the way I bake. Or it could just blow up in my face and not work at all.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow! That is very interesting. You are quite the baker! Impressive.